Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Anna Cody, Ironwoman of Baja 1000

So until a few months ago, I had never heard of the Baja 1000 and to be totally honest with you, I still don't completely understand it. What I do know though is that I wish I could be at the next one in 2007 to see it, and write about it. Because the stories I keep hearing about it are just incredible.

I first became aware of the Baja 1000 when I came across Kathy Jarvis's site. I followed her this year via the Net. She wasn't able to finish the race in 2006, but I have a feeling she'll be at it again in 2007.

Then today I received an email from a gentleman named Dan who told me about another woman, Anna Cody, who was in this race. And she raced on motorcycle. If you read anything about Anna Cody, read this post about her personal account of the race. It's just incredible.

Also, check out Anna's website at: http://www.codygirlracing.com

And thanks so much Dan for bringing this to my attention!!

Hi,

I recently read your blog post about Kathy Jarvis attempting to
become the first woman to solo the Baja 1000 in a truck.

As inspiring as that is, the real story should be about Anna Cody.

"[In 2006] Anna Cody became the first female to ever solo and finish
the Baja 1000 [on a motorcycle even!]. She is Ironwoman [the term for
solo finishers]. She etches her name once again in the Baja history
books. Cody and Lillie Sweetland were the first all-female team to
finish the Baja 1000 back in 1990. After Sweetland succumbed to
cancer in 2001, Cody didn't have it in her heart to ride with another
teammate again and that was the impetus behind her solo run. I
suspect she probably helped Cody pull this one off too."

from: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=4116&Page=5

Anna not only finished, she finished solo, on a motorcycle!

Here is her blog post about it: http://www.blinkinteract.com/2006/12/anna_cody_first_woman_to_solo_1.html

keep up the good work,
- dan


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out this youtube clip about Anna Cody's finish of the Baja 1000. It's awesome!
Barbara

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory