Friday, March 30, 2007

Jane Stillwater -- History Maker

I have come across a story in my SF Chronicle that is delivered to my door about five days a week. Sometimes I don't get a chance to read them, and sometimes....well they start to add up in a big pile on my front porch. BUT TODAY, as I was taking a pile of the papers from my front porch to move them inside, one story jumped out of me. Thank the goddess it was on the front page. I can't tell you how excited I am about this story. It was so good that as soon as I read about it, I had to blog about it myself.

It's about a woman who lives in Berkley Ca, just around the corner and down I80 from me. We all know there are some pretty eccentric people who live in Berkley. However if you've seen the movie Infamous you'll already know that eccentric people are actually just interesting people who are a lot of fun to be around. And Jane Stillwater happens to be one of these people.

Jane is a young 64 years of age. She lives in section 8 housing and eats peanut butter sandwiches so she can save up her money to do things like, go to Iraq for three weeks to get embedded with a military unit so she can blog about the goings on over there. Last year she went to Afghanistan on a Global Exchange tour. This is the first trip she's taken solo, but she's not scared.

Jane is in Kuwait as I write this waiting for a flight to Baghdad. She left the States on Wednesday. She didn't take a computer with her and plans to blog from Internet Cafes. She doesn't know if she'll actually get embedded. She does have all the qualifications to make this happen, but there are so many journalists over there right now, it's hard to find a spot.

She has already started blogging, her first was from a Kinko's in Kuwait. This woman's writing style is such a delight to read. I have a hard time believing she is 64 years old. Jane seems to have the belief that I do that the Universe will take care of her, and whatever happens, will happen.

Less than a week before she left she put a plea out on her blog that someone might let her borrow some Kevlar. I don't think she actually got any, she hasn't mentioned it.

This is one woman who has decided to live her life by not following the set rules that everyone THINKS they are supposed to follow. Jane is NOT a well behaved woman, that is for sure, and I wish her all the best on her adventure. I can't wait to read her blog.

You can read all about Jane and her adventure at: http://www.jpstillwater.blogspot.com/

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 2:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Jane! A bit of good misbehaviour never hurts anyone. Like magic and good old fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Directory Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory